This report recipe will show you the steps to create a pie chart which displays instances of time off with each 'slice' of the pie showing a different time off reason, this can be helpful to visualise the breakdown of time off reasons within your organisation.
To get started navigate into Reporting -> Report Builder
Once you're in Report Builder click the Add button to create a new report.
Report builder is cut up into various sections for each aspect of the report, I'll name each section below and then list what the value(s) for that section should be.
- Select a Report Type - Pie Chart.
Select a Data Source - Time Off Period - By Request.
- Please note, it's essential that we use the time off period - by request data source and NOT the time off period - all dates data source as it splits up time off requests into 1 record per day of time off which would inflate the report values.
- Select a Report Name - Time off by reason (or anything suitable).
- Select a Report Description - Add as required.
- Select Report Category - Add as required.
- Select Label Axis - Reason (as this is a pie chart a label isn't required).
- Select Value Axis - Request ID | Count (as this is a pie chart a label isn't required).
- Select Groups - NULL (not applicable for pie charts).
Select Filters - If you'd like to filter this report you can add in some filters here, for example if you only want to see unauthorised time off you can add in a filter for 'Authorised? | Equals | No'
- In this case we want a full picture of all time off across the organisation for this year so we'll just add a filter for 'Date | This Year' to ensure all records are relevant.
- Display Option:
- Minimal view chart - Unticked.
- Order by label - a-z.
- Order by value - Unticked.
- Show zero values? - Ticked.
- Rotate values? - Unticked.
- Hide Values? Unticked.
- Show legend? - Unticked.
- Enable Drilldown? - Unticked.
- Display Option:
Once completed the report Creation page should look like so:
Once complete click Save Report followed by View Report, your report should now look something like this:
This is a very simple guide on creating a time off reason pie chart to display the breakdown of booked time off by the time off type, it can be built upon and adapted in order to refine the data which is displayed or you can add drilldown reports in order to display different data when slices of the report are selected. This report recipe can be used as a head start to creating your own pie chart reports in NaturalHR and can then be expanded upon later on.