This report recipe will show you the steps to create a simple time off report for the current month, this can be a quick and easy way to view what time off is booked across the month which can then be used by a payroll team to make appropriate deductions, or for Managers to ensure there is sufficient coverage when employees are off work.
To get started navigate into Reporting -> Report Builder
Once you're in Report Builder click the Add button to create a new report.
Report builder is cut up into various sections for each aspect of the report, I'll name each section below and then list what the value(s) for that section should be.
- Select a Report Type - Table.
Select a Data Source - Time Off Period - All Dates/By Request.
- Please note, there are two time off period data sources, the By Request data source shows the overall time off request as one record, if an employee has booked 5 days off there will be one line in this report which shows that time off request along with it's duration, start and end dates and any other fields chosen when creating the report. The All Dates data source splits up each time off booking into an individual record per date booked off, a 2 day time off request would result in 2 lines in the report, a 5 day request would display 5 lines etc.
- In my example I've created the report using the time off period - by request data source as I wanted to see each date as it's own record.
- Select a Report Name - Time Off This Month (or anything suitable).
- Select a Report Description - Add as required.
- Select Report Category - Add as required.
Select Fields - Employee ID, Full Name, Request Start Date, Request End Date, Duration, Reason.
- If you require any additional fields or just want different data to be returned in the report then feel free to improvise this section and select any fields you like, this can also be edited after the report is made so there are no mistakes at this point.
- Select Groups - Full Name.
- Select Aggregate - NULL.
- Select Order By - NULL.
Select Filters -
- Active | Equals | Active (to ensure we only report on active employees).
- AND | GROUP FILTERS - Request Start Date | This Month
- OR | GROUP FILTERS - Request End Date | This Month
- The Group Filter allows us to use both start/end date filters without them both having to be true while always ensuring the employee is active.
- Table Options - CSV Field Separator - CSV.
Once complete click Save -> View Report.
The report should now look something like this:
It will show all time off from the current calendar month and group the records by the employee that they've been booked for.
You can refine/alter the filters to better suits your needs if you'd like to do so, for example, if you'd like to see a specific month rather than the current month you can adjust the date filters to run from the 1st of a given month to the end of another, the important thing to remember is the requirement for grouping filters and ensuring the filter is an OR statement, rather than an AND as this will result in inaccurate data or even an empty report. For further guidance on filtering read this article: Report Builder Filters - AND / OR / Group Filters – Natural HR Support.
You can also add in filters for Reason in order to only show data for specified time off types, this can be helpful for seeing time off which would result in pay deductions.
For more report recipes follow this link: Report Recipes – Natural HR Support