Within Natural HR it is possible to add Company Documents which employees can access.
A Company Document is usually something you'd like multiple employees to access, such as an Employee Handbook, Policy & Procedures documents or Training materials.
You can add company documents as either an Admin or HR level user by navigating to:
Documents > Company Documents
Uploading Company Documents
Documents can be uploaded either in the top level (or "root") Company Documents Category, or into a Company Document Category you have created. Navigate to the Company Documents section by going to:
Documents > Company Documents
If you want to upload into a Company Document Category, you should also navigate to the category you want to upload to by clicking on the folder icon at the top of the page:
There are 3 methods you can use to upload files on these pages.
Method 1 - for single documents
Click on the Upload button at the bottom of the screen to upload a single document:
The resulting page has a number of fields where you can define the document you are uploading. The first field Document name is mandatory and is the name that will be used for the document within the system. The following fields are optional:
- Document description - An optional description of the document.
- Search metadata - If the Document Search function is enabled then this field can be used to provide additional keywords which the document can be located by. Further information on Document Search is available here.
- Author - An optional field to store the Author of the document.
- Created Date - An optional field to store the creation date of the document.
- Expiry Date - The expiry date of the document. This is used to produce expiry reminders. Further information on Company Document Expiry Reminders can be found here.
- Category - The category to store the document inside. Further information on Company Document Categories can be found here.
- Classification - The classification of the document. Further information on Company Document Classifications can be found here.
- Record views - If enabled, the system will record the number of times the document is viewed. This can be reported on using a Report Builder report based on the "Company Document view tracking" data source, including the pre-built "Document Tracking" standard report. Further information on Standard Reports can be found here.
- Electronic Signature Required - If enabled, all employees with access to the document will be asked to electronically sign to say that they have read the document. Further information on Document Signatures can be found here.
Finally, click on the "Browse" button to choose the document to upload and click the "Submit" button at the bottom of the page to upload it.
Method 2 - For multiple documents
Click on the Upload Multiple button at the bottom of the page to upload up to 10 documents at the same time:
This presents the following screen with 10 rows. On each row you can enter the Document Name (mandatory) and Description (optional) and choose a category to upload the document into, and you can choose the document to upload using the "Upload" button.
Once complete click on the Submit button at the bottom of the page to upload all of the entered documents.
Method 3 - Drag and Drop
It is also possible to upload single or multiple documents into a category by "Drag and Drop". The drag-and-drop uploader is available at the bottom of each company document list.
Drag your files into this box and the filename and size will be displayed. You can also click the Add FIles button to browse for a file you want to upload. Once you have added all of the files you want to upload, click on the Start Upload button at the bottom of the pane:
Company Document Categories
Company Documents can be stored in "Categories" (or folders) to enable them to be properly organised. To add a Company Document Category click on the Add Category button at the bottom of the Company Documents page:
You'll then be presented with the following screen to enter the details of the desired Document Category:
The only mandatory field on this page is the Category Name. You can also enter an optional Category Description which is displayed under the name when viewing company document categories.
You also have the option to choose a Parent category so that you can have categories within other categories. This is analogous to a nested folder structure in Windows or MacOS. As an example, you may have a "Training" category (the "parent") with several other categories contained within it called "Sales", "Marketing", "Finance" etc.
Finally, you have the option to restrict the category by department, job role or site so that only employees in the selected departments etc. can see the category and the documents contained therein. If you do not restrict the category, then the category itself and the documents therein are available to all employees. To see the restriction options click on the "Restrict access" checkbox:
As well as the familiar options to restrict access by department, job role, site and company which exist elsewhere in the system there is also the option to restrict access to users with manager level job roles. Setting this to "Yes" results in the category and the documents therein only being available to users with manager level job roles.