The Company Settings page on Natural HR contains many options for configuring the system as a whole. These options are only available to Administrator users and can be found at:
Administration > Company > Settings > Company Settings
The settings are divided into 13 sections.
Depending on the modules enabled in your environment and the version of the software you are using, not all of these section or settings might be present in your environment.
Click on the section heading below for information on the settings contained therein:
- Self service
- Performance management
- Asset management
- Google calendar
- Probationary period
- Workflow settings
- Org chart settings
- Mandatory Fields
- Document Management
- General settings
- HR mailbox - This setting allows you to enter an email address which will receive all HR related emails sent from the system. The HR mailbox can also be used as a recipient within Workflow steps. The HR mailbox can also be defined on a per-site basis.
- Employee self-service - blind copy HR mailbox - Choosing "Yes" here will result in all emails generated by employee self-service actions being "blind copied" to the HR mailbox, if one has been entered.
- Notify managers of timeoff added by HR/admin OR HR of timeoff added by managers - There are 4 options available here:
- No - No additional notifications are sent
- Yes, manager only - Managers will be notified if a timeoff record is added by a HR or Administrator user.
- Yes, manager and approver - Managers and approvers will be notified if a timeoff record is added by a HR or Administrator user.
- Yes, notify HR - HR will be notified if timeoff is added by managers.
- Training mailbox - This setting allows you to enter an email address which will receive all training related emails sent from the system. The Training mailbox can also be used as a recipient within Workflow steps. The Training mailbox can also be defined on a per-site basis.
- Finance notification email - This setting allows you to enter an email address which will receive all finance-related emails sent from the system. The Finance mailbox can also be used as a recipient within Workflow steps. The Finance mailbox can also be defined on a per-site basis.
- Require tax authority self-service address update notification - If your local tax authorities require employees to notify them of a change of address, enter the web link to the form on which the employees need to notify the relevant authority.
- Facilities mailbox - This setting allows you to enter an email address for the Facilities mailbox. This is commonly used for an IT department, for example. The Facilities mailbox can also be used as a recipient within Workflow steps. The Facilities mailbox can also be defined on a per-site basis.
- Employee birthday notifications - Using this setting, you can choose to send managers an automated email the day before each of their employee birthday, show the birthday on the calendar or do both.
- Employee start date anniversary notifications - Using this setting, you can choose to send managers an automated email the day before the anniversary of their employee's start date, show the start date anniversary on the calendar or do both.
- Employee leave date notifications - Using this setting, you can choose to send managers an automated email the day before their employee's leave date, show the leave date anniversary on the calendar or do both.
- Default timeoff approval reminders - This setting determines whether reminders are sent to managers/approvers for timeoff requests which are not yet approved.
- Default timesheets approval reminders - This setting determines whether reminders are sent to managers/approvers for timesheets which are not yet approved.
- Default probationary period reminders - This setting determines whether reminders are sent to managers for employees who are reaching the end of their probationary period.
Default warnings expiry reminders - This setting determines whether reminders are sent to managers for employee warnings which are about to expire.
Default mandatory document reminder - This setting determines which users receive reminders when an employee's mandatory document is expiring. There are 10 options:
- HR only
- Manager only
- Administrators and HR only
- Administrators and Manager only
- HR and Manager only
- Administrators, HR and Manager
- Finance users only
- Finance notification email only
- Employee and manager - automated
The last of these options is the system's default behaviour.
- Self service changeable fields - These checkboxes allow you to choose which fields in the employee's record can be edited by an employee using employee self-service. Place a check in the checkbox for each field you want the employee to be able to update.
- Employee change profile image - Choosing "Yes" here will allow an employee to update their own profile image using employee self-service.
- Electronic signature notification text - This is the information or compliance text which will be displayed when an employee is electronically signing a document.
- Employee self service training - This setting determines whether employees can request training via employee self-service. The options are:
- No - Employees cannot request training
- Yes - Library courses only - Employees can only request training from courses stored in the Training Course Library
- Yes - Library and ad-hoc requests - Employees can request training from the Training Course Library as well as make ad-hoc requests for other training.
- Employee self service training - update course outcome - This setting determines whether employees can update the outcome of their own training via employee self-service.
- Training feedback form - Here you can select a form to be used for Training Feedback. This drop-down will display forms of type "Training feedback".
- Training bulk approve - If this is set to "Yes", managers will be able to bulk approve training requests from the Training module.
- Auto archive expired training - If this is set to "Yes", all training with an expiry date will be auto-archived once the training expiry date has passed.
- Performance management module - This setting determines whether the performance module uses the system default ("Standard") form or Custom forms built using Form Builder.
- Reviews published - This setting determines whether a custom review form needs to be published in order for the employee to be able to complete a review, or if review forms are available to employees to be completed on an ad-hoc basis. The latter will any forms of type Performance Review available to the employee.
- Performance review split screen - When set to 'Yes, when adding a custom performance review you will be shown a second column to the right of the screen which will include previous reviews, goals, 360 feedback and competencies for the chosen employee, making it easier to view prior and current performance information from various sources.
- Performance review split screen - period - When viewing data in the split screen view, by default we will show the last 12 entries of each type. This option allows you to change which data is displayed - either the last x records, or the last x months worth of records.
- Performance grid custom options - When using a custom 16 box grid, these fields allow you to determine the minimum and maximum value for the grid limits and to specify colour break points for Red, Amber and Green respectively.
- Competencies rating scale - This setting determines a scale to use to determine the employee's progress towards a required competency. The available options are:
- 1 to 3
- 1 to 5
- 1 to 7
- 1 to 10
- Performance goal system - There are two options for the use of performance goals in Natural HR. If you choose Standard then each goal update will, in effect, overwrite the previous entry. If you choose Incremental then you will be able to see each Incremental update and a history of all previous updates.
- Performance goals 'circle' - When set to 'Yes', a circular graphic will be displayed for each goal displaying the progress towards that goal.
- Asset signature declaration - Here you can set declaration text that is used when an employee signs for an asset that has been assigned to them.
- Request Assets - When set to 'Yes', this will provide the ability to choose assets to be assigned to an employee when adding them into the system. The information captured here can then be displayed in a workflow email.
- Default currency - This setting determines the default currency to be used for financial records within Natural HR.
- Start of financial year - This setting determines the start of the financial year for the company.
- Auto enrolment - This setting determines whether the fields for pension auto-enrolment are displayed in the employee file so that this information can be stored against the employee.
- Benefits module - This setting ultimately determines how many benefits can be stored against an employee. In the "Simple" configuration, a set of standard benefits are displayed in the benefits page on the employee card against which values can be stored. In the "Custom" configuration, more complex custom benefits can be configured against which values can be stored.
- Hide bank details - Setting this to "Yes" results in the removal of bank details from Natural HR. Once set, no bank details are available to any users.
- Bank details text - This is the text which is displayed when adding or updating bank details.
- Job grades determine salary/timeoff entitlement - When set to "Yes", this will result in the employee's salary and timeoff entitlement being set according to their Job Grade. If you are not using Job Grades, this should be set to "No".
- Google calendar link - If you wish to include the content of a Google Calendar within Natural HR's calendar, enter the calendar ID (not URL) here. A support article describing this feature is available here.
- Default probationary period length - This setting determines a default probationary period length to be used when adding a new employee to the system.
- Auto populate probationary for new employee - This setting determines whether the employee's probationary period is automatically populated when adding an employee to the system.
- Allow triggered workflows to be updated - If you choose "Yes", HR and admin users will be able to delete steps from an active workflow, change the due date and mark steps completed without having the step assigned to them.
- Auto update workflows when trigger dates change - If you choose "Yes", the system will automatically update the due dates of steps to be completed in a workflow where the trigger date is dependant on start date, leave date, contract end date, probationary date, last working day or resignation date, and that date is changed in the employee's file.
- Allow HR users to approve any request in a workflow - By default, only the assigned user or an admin can approve a request such as timeoff when linked to an employee - if you set this to "Yes" then HR level users will be able to approve any request linked to a workflow.
Org Chart Settings
- Org chart default depth - This setting determines the number of levels displayed in the organisational chart by default, including the top level.
- Org chart mouse zoom - When set to "Yes", this allows the user to "zoom" on the organisational chart using the mouse wheel.
- Org chart dotted line - EXPERIMENTAL - By default, the organisational chart shows the relationship between employees and their managers. By setting this setting to "Yes", the organisational chart will display dotted lines to denote relationships between the employee and their approver etc. Note: This is very dependant on your organisational structure so may not work reliably in some companies.
- External org chart URL - The built-in organisational chart can be replaced with a 3rd party chart if desired. Enter the URL for the external chart here - the chart will be embedded with an iFrame and will replace the default organisational chart. This URL must be a secure link and should be the whole URL of the chart, starting with https://.
This series of checkboxes determine which fields are deemed as mandatory and must be completed when adding or editing an employee's file.
Important: We strongly recommend that you leave national insurance/social security, date of birth, start date, work email, job role, site, department and manager as mandatory fields - if you do not you may experience unexpected behaviour such as employee leave allowances being incorrect as well as permissions and approvals/notification issues.
- Enable document meta search - When set to 'Yes', employees will be able to search their employee and company documents based on their filename, description and added metadata. Metadata is only available for company documents.
- Full add - include documents - When set to 'Yes', when adding a new employee using the "Full add" function (as opposed to Quick Add) there will be an option to upload documents to the Employee file.
- Full add - include photo - When set to 'Yes', when adding a new employee using the "Full add" function (as opposed to Quick Add) there will be an option to upload an employee profile photo.
- Leaver - include document - When set to 'Yes', when making an employee a leaver there will be an option to upload a document against the employee file.
- Document redirect URL - This option allows you to change the Documents link in the menu bar so that it points to an external document management system, instead of Natural HR's own document features. The URL should be fully qualified (containing the prefix, eg https://).
- New employees require approval - This setting determines whether new employees require approval. There are 4 options available here:
- No - New employees do not require approval.
- Manager users only - New employees added by manager-level users require approval.
- Managers and HR users - New employees added by manager-level users and HR level users require approval.
- Managers, HR and admin users - New employees added by manager-level users, HR level users and Administrator-level users require approval. This is effectively all employees added to the system, regardless of the level of the user who added them.
- Quick add popup buttons - When adding or changing an employee, there are "Add" buttons to the right of several drop-down fields, which allow the user to add an entry to that drop-down. For example, in a drop-down list of Departments, if the department you want to choose for the employee is not present, you can use the "Add" button to quickly add a department to the list. This setting determines which users have access to this feature. There are 4 options available here:
- Admin, HR and manager users
- Admin and HR users
- Admin and manager users
- Admin users only
- Add options - There are two forms which can be used when adding an employee to the system. The "Quick Add" form displays a limited set of fields on one page. The "Full Add" form displays all relevant fields for completion across multiple pages. This setting determines which of these forms are available to use when adding an employee. There are 3 options available here:
- Quick and full add
- Quick add only
- Full add only
- Employees name display - EXPERIMENTAL - This setting determines how the employee's name is displayed in the system. This experimental feature does not yet affect all locations in the system where the employee's name is displayed. There are 3 options available here:
- Firstname Surname - The employee's name is displayed in the standard format.
- Known as Surname [fall back to First name Surname] - The employee's name is displayed with their "Known as" name in place of their First name where present. If not present, the employee's name is displayed in the standard format.
- Known as Surname (Works ID) [fall back to First name Surname (Works ID)] - admin areas only - The employee's name is displayed with their "Known as" name in place of their First name where present, followed by their Works ID in brackets. If the user does not have a Known As name present, the employee's name is displayed in the standard format, followed by their Works ID in brackets. This setting only applies in Admin areas of the system.
- Firstname Surname - The employee's name is displayed in the standard format.
- History display - When viewing employee histories, there are two options as to how this is recorded. In the Standard view each entry represents a change. In the Derived view the top (most recent) history entry represents the current status of the employee, and each item below represents what the record changed from at the point of change.
- Limit history records to 1 per day - If you select "Yes" if there is more than one history record created for an employee on a single date only the most recent record will be retained and all others will be deleted.
- Auto generate works ID - This setting determines whether a Works ID is automatically generated when adding an employee. When set to "Yes - pad with zeroes", the generated works ID is padded with zeroes until it reaches the required length.
- Show custom fields on Quick add - This setting determines whether data can be entered into custom fields when using the "Quick Add" form to add an employee.
- Restrict custom fields by site - If you set this to "Yes", only the custom fields specified at the site level will be shown for employees at that site.
- Site level localisation - If you set this to "Yes" when adding a new employee their localisation settings (language, timezone and date format etc.) will be determined by the settings for their site.
- Form clone add new item - When using clone fields in a custom form, this setting determines where the new fields will be placed when clicking the "Clone" button. This can either before or after the current set of fields.
- Auto create user account - If you choose "Yes" when an employee is added using the "Full Add" or "Quick Add" forms a disabled employee/manager account (depending on their job level) will automatically be created for them. This feature will use the employee's work email address for their username, if present, or a randomly generated username if no work email address is present.
- Auto create user account - default status - If a user account is automatically created, this allows you to choose whether that account is enabled or disabled by default.
- Auto update manager status from user account - If you choose "Yes", when an user is given the manager user group and their job level is not already manager level, then the job role will be updated to manager level automatically.
- Restrict HR users from managing their own records - By default, an HR level user can administer their own records via the main modules - for example, they can add timeoff for themselves and bypass approval. If you do not want this to happen then set this to "Yes" and HR users will not see themselves in any dropdown lists. As a result, they will be unable to manager their own timeoff records (for example) in a HR user context, and will need to use Employee Self Service to make these requests, in the same way as an employee level user.
- Auto re-assign employees when manager leaves - When a manager is made a leaver, there may well be employees reporting in to that manager - setting this option to YES will mean that when the manager leaves all those reporting in to them will be re-assigned to the manager's manager automatically. This will not create a history record.
- Time off allowances dataset - summary only - If you are using a summary type to record your timeoff, this allows you to report accurately on the number of days booked, taken and remaining against your summary type using the "Timeoff balances" data set in Report Builder. This effectively results in the result in report builder matching what you see elsewhere in the system in respect of the balances. If you are not using a summary type, leave this set to No.
- Allow employees to submit on 'behalf of others' - This allows employees to submit items on behalf of another employee. Check the checkbox to allow this for the type of record. So, to allow employees to submit expenses on behalf of another employee for example, check "Expenses"
- Auto archive leaver data - When an employee is made a leaver, this allows you to archive all records of a given type relating to that employee. So, to automatically archive Time off records (for example) when you make an employee a leaver, check the "Time off" checkbox. There are 5 options available here:
- Request assets - When set to "Yes", this allows you to choose assets to assign to an employee when adding an employee.
- Default form download label - When downloading form data as a CSV file, you can choose to have the column headings represent either the "Field database name" or the "Field display label". The former is used by the system to store the data in our database, and can be useful if you ever need to re-upload the data back into the system. The latter is the friendly name displayed on the form for each form field.
- Custom form read only icon visibility - By default, when users are are filling in custom forms they will see icons indicating if a specific field is editable by them. Setting this to "hidden" will not show these to employees - they would only show when you are building the form. This results in a cleaner view when the employee completes the form.
- Custom form save options - By default, when filling in a form the data in the form is not saved until you click the "Submit" button. This option allows you to add a "Save" button to forms, as well as an option to autosave the form every 5 minutes. Please note, this is only supported on "Other" and "Performance Review" forms. There are 4 options available here:
- None - The submit button is used to save and submit the form.
- Save button - A save button is added to the form to allow the user to save.
- Auto save - The form is periodically saved automatically
- Both - A save button is added and the form is also periodically saved automatically.
- Logout URL - This is a URL to which users can be re-directed after they log out of Natural HR. You might choose, for example, to redirect users to your company website or a suitable page on your intranet. This should be entered in the form www.website.com without the http:// prefix.
- Newsletter opt out - If you do NOT want to receive our newsletter or other promotional information from Natural HR please tick this box.
- Logo - Click "Browse" to locate a logo to be displayed in the top-left corner of the Natural HR environment. Logo will display maximum size of 210px wide x 56px high (ratio 3.72:1) - we recommend you try to make your logo as close to this size and ratio as possible and use a transparent PNG or GIF, as logo's with a solid background will display the background colour. We also recommend you optimise your logo as images may need to be rescaled and images with a large weight will impact site load time. Note that a logo can also be set in Branding Settings.
- Email logo - If you wish to use a different logo for emails (due to colour considerations for example) then you can upload this here - you do not need to upload this unless you wish the email logo to be different from the main logo. Click "Browse" to locate a logo to be displayed in emails sent from Natural HR to users. Note that this logo can also be set in Branding Settings.
- Circular logo - If uploaded, this logo will be used anywhere the logo would be more suited a circular shape such as the top right menu, social stream etc. If no circular logo is provided then we will try to fit your main logo to these sections. Click "Browse" to locate a logo to be displayed in these areas. Note that this logo can also be set in Branding Settings.